The main purpose of this activity is to provide students with practice breaking numbers into various parts to reinforce the concept that two smaller numbers can equal a larger number. This activity is also a great opportunity to reinforce stacking the largest number first.
Have students take turns adding a section to the same tower.
Purpose: Gives students repetition with decomposing sums less than 10.
- Sections are arranged with two sides and a top block as illustrated.
- Limit beginners to a max wall height of 5.
- The tower with the most blocks wins!
Ask, "Who used the most blocks in their tower?"
- Help students count up the blocks in their tower.
- Show students that they can break numbers apart using smaller numbers to add more blocks to their towers.
What other combinations are there?
- Let students explore breaking apart some of the larger numbers.
- Buy Now